The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) describes “Meaningful Use” as using certified EHR technology in ways that can be measured significantly in quality and in quantity.
Our Meaningful Use consultants are available to assist healthcare organizations with facilitation and adoption of “Meaningful Use” (MU) standards.
What are the requirements for Stage 1 of Meaningful Use?
Meaningful use includes both a core set and a menu set of objectives that are specific to eligible professionals or eligible hospitals and CAHs.
For eligible professionals, there are a total of 25 meaningful use objectives.To qualify for an incentive payment, 20 of these 25 objectives must be met.
- There are 15 required core objectives.
- The remaining 5 objectives may be chosen from the list of 10 menu set objectives.
What are “Clinical Quality Measures“?
- To demonstrate meaningful use successfully, eligible professionals, eligible hospitals and CAHs are required also to report clinical quality measures specific to eligible professionals or eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- Eligible professionals must report on 6 total clinical quality measures: 3 required core measures (substituting alternate core measures where necessary) and 3 additional measures (selected from a set of 38 clinical quality measures).
- CMS EHR Meaningful Use Criteria Summary
- The criteria for meaningful use will be staged in three steps over the course of the next five years.
Stage 1: (2011 and 2012) sets the baseline for electronic data capture and information sharing.
Stage 2: (expected to be implemented in 2013) and Stage 3 (expected to be implemented in 2015) will continue to expand on this baseline and be developed through future rule making.
Back to EMRSOAP Homepage