What is E-Prescribing?
Electronic prescribing or e-prescribing is the electronic transmission of prescription information from the prescriber’s computer to a pharmacy computer. It replaces a paper prescription that the patient would otherwise carry or fax to the pharmacy.
Medications that are electronically entered and transmitted by Prescriber directly to Pharmacy.
Benefits of e-prescribing:
- Improved patient quality of care by decreasing risk of medication errors and to prescribe to pharmacy electronically
- Warning and alert systems at point of prescribing
- Reduces or eliminates phone calls and call-backs to pharmacies.
- Reduces faxes to pharmacies
- Improved reporting by querying the system for the frequency of medication prescribed.